Photo: CNA

Explosions rocked an ammunition depot on Thursday after a fire broke out at a military zone east of Kyrenia, with shattered glass slightly injuring two people.

The Turkish defence ministry said the fire had been brought under control and that the cause of the initial blast, which occurred at around 1:30am, was not immediately clear. It said an investigative team had begun its work.

Explosions at the military zone in Klepini (Arapköy) continued until 5am. Flames that spread to an adjacent forest were also under control.

A safety zone has been delineated around the broader area, with police warning people to keep away. Access to Kyrenia from the east has been diverted through mountain roads.

“Thankfully there were no victims,” Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci said, “though there are some injured from shattered glass.”

According to the Turkish Cypriot ‘Health Minister’ Ali Pilli, two people were slightly injured and were administered first aid in an ambulance that was called to the scene. He noted that they did not require hospital treatment.

The Acapulco Hotel, situated close to the incident, was evacuated. Several homes were also pre-emptively evacuated. Some homes also saw power cuts as a result of the incident.

According to Turkish Cypriot media, panic spread among the guests of the Acapulco Hotel, who gathered on the beach in front of the hotel upon hearing the blasts. Medics were called to the scene as some guests reported feeling unwell from the smell of burnt gunpowder.

Akinci, along with ‘Prime Minister’ Ersin Tatar and ‘Foreign Minister’ Kudret Ozersay visited the area, reassuring the guests of the hotel that all necessary measures had been taken and that there was no longer risk in the area.

In a written statement, Tatar said that a crisis management centre had been set up in the area by Turkish Cypriot soldiers, civil defence members and the forestry department.

The cause of the incident will be thoroughly investigated, Tatar said, noting that the greatest relief is that no lives were lost and no serious injuries were recorded.

The flames that followed the first blast were visible from the shores of the Turkish cities of Antalya and Alanya, with witnesses uploading photos on social media, Turkish Cypriot media reported.

CNN Turk broadcast a video that showed large blasts and plumes of smoke rising into the night sky over the area.
Axact

Axact

Vestibulum bibendum felis sit amet dolor auctor molestie. In dignissim eget nibh id dapibus. Fusce et suscipit orci. Aliquam sit amet urna lorem. Duis eu imperdiet nunc, non imperdiet libero.

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, and please keep your comments relevant and respectful.

Share your articles, stories or happenings around you with us.
+905338325802 (WhatsApp Only)
Email: info.heraldnigeria@gmail.com