The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has confirmed the death of two people in a gas explosion which occurred on Thursday.

It added that 23 others who were seriously injured were rescued from the explosion that occurred at Adule Street, Off Ojo Road, in Ajegunle area near Apapa, in Lagos State.

The Director-General (D-G) of LASEMA, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed the development to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

The D-G said that when LASEMA officials arrived at the scene of the incident, they discovered that a gas cylinder store had exploded as a result of a gas leakage.

“Our further investigations at the scene revealed that the fire ignited as a result of a phone call by an unidentified resident.

“This spread to other nearby shops and a bungalow behind the shops.

“Unfortunately, two children (a male and a female) lost their lives and there were other 23 casualties who sustained multiple burns.

“All the casualties have been evacuated to the Burnt Unit, Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos for treatment,” he said.

Oke-Osanyintolu said the remains of one of the two bodies, identified as Damilare Afolabi, had been bagged by the LASEMA Response Team (LRT) and handed over to the family.

He, however, said that the entire area had been cordoned off and that post-disaster assessment was ongoing.

He urged residents to avoid the use of naked fire in the area to prevent further disaster.
Axact

Axact

Vestibulum bibendum felis sit amet dolor auctor molestie. In dignissim eget nibh id dapibus. Fusce et suscipit orci. Aliquam sit amet urna lorem. Duis eu imperdiet nunc, non imperdiet libero.

Post A Comment:

0 comments:

We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, and please keep your comments relevant and respectful.

Share your articles, stories or happenings around you with us.
+905338325802 (WhatsApp Only)
Email: info.heraldnigeria@gmail.com